Fusilli Pasta in White Sauce with Capsicum and Corn
How many times do we go to buy grocery , and unknowingly pick up something that you don’t really know how to make? It happens with me all the time. Though this time it was not me, but what my mom picked up. The one thing she knows is that I like pasta….but not which one :) If I am buying, its usually Penne. But this time it was Fusilli…sadly I saw this packet only after I came home. And fortunately or unfortunately, there are totally 2 packets, as it was buy one get one free. So I had t use them at any cost. Unluckily for me, I couldn’t find much of pasta recipes for Fusilli. Surprised ! So I came up with my own.
Unlike penne, fusilli is very decorative to look at, and absorbs sauces very quickly. This recipe serves 2.
For the pasta:
Fusilli Pasta : 300 gms
White Onion : 1 large, cut into slices
Green Capsicum : 1, cut into cubes
Sweet Corn : 3/4 th cup
Garlic : 6 cloves, chopped finely
Olive oil : 5 tbsp
Oregano : 1/4th tsp
Cheese : 3 tbsp, Grated ( I used a pizza cheese left over)
Cheese spread : 2 tbsp ( used in Mexican chilli flavor)
Salt : to taste
Green Chilli Paste: 1tsp
White sauce : 2 1/2 cups
For White sauce :
Salted Butter : 2tbsp
Maida : 1 ½ tbsp
Milk : 2 cups
Salt, Pepper, Oregano & Nutmeg for flavor
1. Heat a saucepan, and put the butter. Melt it , till it starts bubbling
2. Add the maida, and stir continuously for approx 2-3 mins, till the raw smell disappears.
3. Start adding the milk and keep stirring, so that the sauce doesn’t have any lumps.
4. Add salt to taste. Grated nutmeg & crushed Oregano ( a pinch) and powdered black pepper to taste.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. White Sauce is ready.
PS: Ensure the milk you add is at room temperature, else the sauce will be very lumpy.
1. Cook the fusilli pasta as per the instructions on the packet. Mine said to cook in 3 litres of boiling salted water for 9-11 mins. Drain and keep it aside.
2. Heat a wok, and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the chopped garlic, sauté for a minute. Take care not to brown the garlic.
3. Add the onion , sauté for 3-5 mins, till it becomes translucent.
4. Next put in the capsicum and corn, add a pinch of salt and fry till all the veggies are done.
5. Fry in the green chilli paste, once the oil starts to separate, add the cooked paste and mix well.
6. Now here is the interesting part, add cheese and the cheese spread to the prepared white sauce. The remaining heat in the sauce will melt the cheese.
7. Pour in the prepared white sauce, add salt and mix well into the pasta.
8. Just before serving, sprinkle some crushed oregano on top, garnish with chopped Coriander and serve hot.
Now, don’t we Indians try to indianise everything? And since this pasta happens to be a little bland, you can spice it up with Kitchen King Masala. Tastes awesome.